Anything on the 815xl. Anything? Like comparison to the 615xl or 818xl?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Speaker Kit Information' started by Cellarnoise, Aug 4, 2023.

1. I have put in an order for the 815xl... Not much on this speaker... Even from the designer... Please help :)

2. Essentially the Titan-815 uses the larger 8" midrange / HF horn from the Titan-818 and combines it with a 15" cabinet same as used on the original Titan-615.

Basically you are getting the same midrange/high frequency drivers from the 818 but with a new crossover and 15" woofer. The 15" woofer doesn't have quite as much bass extension as the 18" but sensitivity is similar. Basically I'd recommend an 60-80hz crossover for these unless you build a larger custom bass cabinet. Tuning in the stock cabinet is 40Hz so if you have good room gain it's possible to get away with a 40Hz crossover, certainly won't hurt anything using one but the normal rolloff is above that range that why I'd recommend 60-80Hz.

With a 80hz crossover it would be good for 400w before you would see a benefit moving to the larger Titan-818.

Overall not hugely different then the Titan-818 especially if crossed at 80Hz.

3. #3 Cellarnoise, Aug 20, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2023
    Thanks Matt!!!!

This last week I received all 4 boxen, split up, I am sure to reduce shipping costs! I'll post of pictures soon of the 815's parts and pieces.

Titan 815's I think are perfect for my small theater space that opens up into an "L" shaped larger space around 700 sq.ft. These will be way overkill as my seats are only about 10' from the main listening positions. I need to keep adding room sound deadening treatments on the walls for sure! Floor is concrete and may get more treatments over time.

I hurt my back this week just before the 815's were delivered and it may take a week or two before I can share more.... I will have a full pre-un-boxing and then build thread here when I can over time. I want to share physical box measurements, as I plan on having slot ported boxes a little larger volume than standard that fit my constrained theater space better than I have found. I don't mind building custom boxes and custom speced woofer cabinets, but I don't know much more than that - or lucky to know what I am doing....

I'm still learning how to e.q. and have enough displacement to get better "mid-bass" without crazy SPL. May not be an easy thing, but when you find it, it is great!!!. Maybe special dsp filters with the ability to adjust easily is what is needed and enough watts as always.

Know that I as I continue to read up and know more about these 815s that I hopefully will contribute to sharing about them. I will be starting off on AVR power and crossed at 80 as I have 4 21" FTW-21 cheaper subs powered by 2 clone FP14000 amps in this smaller space already.

More soon!