what does the future bring ?

Discussion in 'General Topics' started by donc, Apr 30, 2013.

1. would like to know what people are working on ,what designs/builds/kits will be gracing theses pages in the next few weeks/months ?!
    donc

2. I think the big news and action around here is about to be the new shipment of SEOS 15s. There is likely to be lots of new designs.

3. I'm working on a 3-way. Not sure how it'll go though :D

SEOS 15 is sure to bring about some designs. About time we see some more SEOS15 action. I'm personally not into speakers THAT big, but the performance is certainly there and a very nice product.

4. I haven't listened to these speakers yet but am very interested. I have tried to do as much research as possible. I read the threads here and on AVS forum. I have also read most of the info on Wayne's forum. He seems to have a lot of good information.
    Q. Wayne likes to point out that the seos waveguides are not deep enough for their width to be a true OS and its been proposed that a lot of the extra width is heavy round over. What if you trimmed a little of the width off? could it be done without waistbanding? then you could use narrower cabinet

Steve

5. Hey Steve,

What Wayne has said about the SEOS has been covered in obscure threads on AVSforum. Basically he's trying to nitpick without being able to back up his claims. Coctostan recently pointed out Wayne should consider the SEOS 15 if he wants depth. Because you're right, the SEOS waveguides are very wide with lots of round over. There is a lot of extra width that could likely be cut off at the expense of some subtle diffraction.

I've got a SEOS 10 and a 12 here. I was looking at them just yesterday thinking to myself, if I cut the wings off this 12, I could squeeze it into my SEOS10 cab and get the SEOS12 performance. I'm not ballsy enough to do it, and I believe the round overs are useful, but it not a bad idea at all. SEOS12 performance in a 12" wide cab, sounds pretty good to me :D

6. Exactly, I was thinking you could cut down the 12 to fit edge to edge in a 12 inch cab using the 10 inch mids
    and
    Even better stuff the new 15 into the existing Tempest/Zephyr cabs.

7. Then it would no longer be a SEOS design or a design that measures as well. There's a reason why they're shaped that way. ;)

8. Ya, I'm afraid if the wings are cut off, well then it's just any other PA horn out there. Well, probably not that dramatic, but you know what I mean. What makes the seos great is it's wide round overs to keep it diffraction free. I've used the SEOS12 is actually 13" wide and has a lot of similarities to 10" horns. When you look at it at the right angle, you can actually see where the bulk of the horn shape is, and it looks like a 10" horn. Same with the SEOS 10, it looks like an 8" with wide round overs.

9. It would be interesting if someone with measuring equipment could compare them with and without the wings.
    While I believe that the SEOS waveguides are great I don't think they have been exhaustively tested.

10. Tempting, but I'd like to keep mine the way they are as the width doesn't matter to me, mine are behind an AT screen. Depth is my only constraint. A worthy pursuit though I bet. If I ever break one I'll let you know ;)